Location: The Farmers building was located on the corner of High and Percival Streets, Rangiora
The Farmers building was the third store on the High Street site. The original business was known as the Northern Canterbury Co-operative Stores, and was established in 1890 near the Junction Hotel.
The first building on the present Farmers site was opened in 1895 and extended in 1899. Seven years later, a more grandiose building was added to the west.
A devastating fire swept through both buildings in October 1918. At that time it was North Canterbury’s largest fire and estimated to have cost the business £45,000.
A new store opened on the site in time for Christmas the following year. The clerk of works at the time was Samuel Ayers, great grandfather of current Mayor David Ayers and Rachel Tregurtha, both members of the Rangiora Landmarks Team.
The Farmers building was given Landmarks status at a ceremony held in November 2007, coinciding with the opening of the revamped store.
The Farmers building closed in February 2012 after damage sustained in the Canterbury earthquakes of 2010 and 2011. It was demolished in July/August 2014.