Location: 143 Percival Street, Rangiora
This is the only courthouse to be built in Rangiora. Constructed of brick and limestone, this building was opened in 1893 and became a 'growth industry'. On 24 September 2008 there were 103 cases set down to be heard.
It was designed to house the Magistrate's Court, which, until then, sat in the Rangiora and Mandeville Road Board office, which was on the site of the Graeme Smith Unichem Pharmacy in High Street.
The contract to build the dedicated courthouse was won by G Thompson for the sum of £717.
William Crichton, who worked in the Government Architect's Office and designed a very similar courthouse in Kaiapoi, is believed to have also designed this building.
The building was extended twice and until recently continued to serve the needs of the district. The building was closed in December 2011 for earthquake strengthening. The Ministry of Justice made the decision to transfer Rangiora court services to the Christchurch District Court and the Rangiora District Court was officially closed on 31 March 2014.
The courthouse was given Landmarks status in 2003. It has a Historic Place Category II registration.