Location: In Victoria Park, corner Percival and Queen Streets, Rangiora
In 1902 the Rangiora Borough Council purchased two paddocks and a small piece of land adjoining the Council’s section on Percival Street. The land was intended to be for a commemoration of Queen Victoria’s 1897 Jubilee and the purchase cost was £410.
The new park was named ‘Victoria Square’. It was soon fenced and in June 1902 a set of fine gates costing £40 were erected to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII. In August, two oak trees and a weeping ash were planted in the square to further commemorate the coronation. It was also recorded that the square was planted in potatoes in the spring.
In October a pedestal lamp costing £20 was placed at the entrance as a memorial to two Rangiora soldiers, Sergeant H R Rule and Trooper J W Sansom, who had died in the Boer War.
Plans were under way by September 1905 for the erection of a band rotunda in the park. A design by the businessman and Borough Councillor, Thomas Keir, was accepted and out of three tenders which differed by just 30 shillings, that of Wadey and Efford at £115.10s was accepted twelve months later.
The band rotunda was opened by the Mayor of Rangiora, Edward Relph, on 24 January 1907.
This building has a Historic Place Category II rating. It was given Landmarks status at a ceremony held on 20 November 2005.