Bowling Club pavilion

Location: Corner Good and Blackett Streets, Rangiora

The combined Bowling, Croquet and Tennis Clubs purchased 1¼ acres on the corner of Blackett and Good Streets, Rangiora, in April 1905. In preparation for the opening day on 16 December 1905, greens were laid, tennis courts constructed, a windmill-driven water supply installed, and laurel and macrocarpa boundary fences planted, along with silver birch trees, shrubs and garden plots. On the opening day there was a full-size 8-rink bowling green, five croquet lawns, two asphalt and one grass tennis court.

The pavilion was constructed in 1911. It was designed by William Wadey, built by Arthur Vincent and John Golding at a cost of £945, and was opened on 28 October 1911. The pavilion is a graceful structure made of wood, with spacious open and glassed balconies on two levels, supported by light pillars and facing out on three sides over the greens. It has a steeply gabled roof and flagpole, giving it a high tent-like appearance - the character of a true pavilion. It was the last large wooden building to be built in Rangiora, and at the time some considered it to be the most architecturally interesting building in Rangiora.

The pavilion has a Historic Place Category II registration, and has been recently renovated and earthquake-strengthened.

The Rangiora Bowling Club Pavilion was given Landmarks status at a ceremony held on Thursday, 12 April 2012, with the plaque being unveiled by Annette Golding, a granddaughter of John Golding.

No results were found

No results were found