Location: Corner of High and Percival Streets, Rangiora
This post office building was opened by the Right Honourable George Forbes, the local Member of Parliament for Hurunui (which included Rangiora), on 1 September 1936.
It was the third post office built on this site.
Built during the depression era at a time when very few public buildings were constructed, the design is relatively unusual given it had to house not only postal facilities but also the telephone exchange and the postmaster's residence (upstairs), hence its size.
A notable feature are the two Edward VIII insignias in the main entrance. These are rare because Edward VIII reigned from 20 January 1936 to 11 December 1936 (only 325 days). He abdicated in favour of his scandalous love for Mrs Simpson, an American divorcee.
There is only one other known such royal insignia on a former New Zealand post office, in Cambridge.
The building was constructed by Christchurch-based CS Luney & Co. which still exists today. Its founder, Charles Luney, in his 100th year, unveiled the Landmarks plaque for this building at a ceremony held on 5 July 2004.
No results were found